abdera-dev mailing list archives

From James M Snell <jasn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Abdera Development
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:59:53 GMT

Harris Boyce III wrote:
> James,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me.  I have taken a look at some of the
> source so I am some-what familiar with it.  I guess there are two
> things that I think I could use to help get started; first, is there a
> recommended environment for working with the source?  I'm not a Java
> developer so I am not really familiar with the available toolsets/IDEs
> for developers with  a, um, restricted budget.

As Stephen pointed out, Eclipse is what you want.

> Lastly, not being a Java developer some of the libraries referenced by
> Abdera are foreign to me, like Axiom/StAX, etc. so I'm finding it a
> little difficult finding a good starting point for development.  My
> plan is to, at least right now, start looking at the JUnit tests and
> start working forward from there - but the question then becomes where
> to start testing...Maybe these are all questions once I can spend some
> more time looking at the source.

StAX is an XML Pull Parser.  I'm not all that familiar with .NET but I
believe this [1] is a fairly close analog.

Axiom is an XML Infoset implementation built on top of StAX.  This will
be the hardest thing for you to port.  Essentially, Axiom parses the XML
into an in-memory representation of the infoset, but does so
incrementally (e.g. it only parses what the user actually asks for).  I
recommend consulting with the members of the ws-commons project for help
 on Axiom.

[1] http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/05/22/parsing.html

> One thing I would like comments on (as if I haven't asked enough
> questions already) is what your thoughts are on which runtime version
> to target (.NET 1.1 vs 2.0).  I couldn't conclusively determine if the
> Mono compilers support the new language features of C# 2.0.  I feel
> .NET 2.0 would be a better target given the intrinsic support for XML
> Encryption/Security and significant performance improvements to the
> XML reading/parsing/etc. library and while I would like this
> implementation to be Mono-compatible, this may just be a matter of
> crawl-walk-run.

I personally would target .NET 2.0, but then again, I'm not all that
familiar with .NET or it's adoption patterns.

- James