abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r428793 [1/2] - in /incubator/abdera/java/trunk/client: ./ src/ src/main/ src/main/java/ src/main/java/org/ src/main/java/org/apache/ src/main/java/org/apache/abdera/ src/main/java/org/apache/abdera/protocol/ src/main/java/org/apache/
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 17:48:31 GMT
On 8/4/06, jmsnell@apache.org <jmsnell@apache.org> wrote:
> Author: jmsnell
> Date: Fri Aug  4 10:36:34 2006
> New Revision: 428793

> Log:
> This still needs LOTS of work to complete.  The client itself is rather straightforward
and complete, conditional gets,
> cache-control, gzip/compress/zip compression is supported and enabled by default, extension
HTTP methods (e.g. COPY)
> can be used with nominal effort..
>
> The part that really needs the most work is the client side HTTP cache.  It's generally
functional but still needs lots of
> refinements, testing, tweaking... and a generally-better-all-the-way-around implementation.
 The goal is to provide a functionally
> complete client-side private cache that supports most of the nuances of HTTP caching
(e.g. Vary headers, max-stale, min-fresh,
> no-cache and private headers, and so on).  Use of the cache can be controlled via the
RequestOptions interface
> (e.g. options.setNoCache(true) to disable the use of the cache via the Cache-Control
header).

> I had imagined ultimately shipping three cache implementations with this.  An in-memory
LRU cache, A write-to-disk cache, and a
> JCS-backed cache implementation.  Other impls are possible (e.g. derby-based, etc).
>
> The client code currently depends 100% on the Apache Commons HTTP Client. Changing the
http stack would require fairly significant
> changes to this code.

Any chance of getting this hooked into the ant build?

Also, tests and/or example code would be useful, although I can
certainly understand how it would be hard to test the client without a
working server...

-garrett