abdera-dev mailing list archives

From James M Snell <jasn...@gmail.com>
Subject FYI, client code
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 17:44:23 GMT
Just a heads up... Next week I'll be checking in a new module that
provides an APP client API.  Right now, the module is a fairly thin
wrapper on top of the commons http client, but adds a client-side HTTP
cache and easier support for conditional operations.

For example,

  // prepare the request
  Client client = ClientFactory.INSTANCE.newClient();
  ClientRequestContext rc =
    client.createRequestContext(
      "GET","http://www.snellspace.com/wp/wp-atom1.php");

  // execute the request
  ClientResponseContext resp =
    (ClientResponseContext) client.process(rc);

  // check the status
  System.out.println(resp.getStatus());

  // a second request will pull the response from the client cache
  // Cache-Control directives are respected. Stale cached responses are
  // revalidated.
  resp = (ClientResponseContext) client.process(rc);

  System.out.println(resp.getStatus());

There are still lots of little issues to work out, such as whether or
not to buffer the InputStream coming from the commons HttpClient so that
the connection can be released, but, for the most part, I've got the
client code working.

- James