abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Are we ready to cut 0.1?
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 17:13:18 GMT
> I've made a number of API and internal changes this week.  I'm sure
> there is lots more we can do to simplify the API and implementation,
> but, as I posted earlier this week, I'd really like to get 0.1 cut and
> released as a "developer preview" / "milestone" / "some branch that
> developers can use while we continue to hack on the head".
>
> Currently, all of the tests pass and the documentation is generally up
> to date.
>
> Are we ready?
>
> Here's my +1 (binding)

Ok, FWIW, this isn't how voting on a release works.

First, the release manage (in this case James, since he's been pushing
this release forward) tags the release, (svn copy $REPOS/trunk
$REPOS/branches/0.1.0), then they build release artifacts (.zip files,
tarballs, binary distributions, etc) of it and place them someplace
accessible on people.apache.org (i.e. people.apache.org/~jmsnell/).

At this point, they notify this mailing list that the release tarballs
are available, and people download them, test them, and confirm that
they work properly, etc.  People vote on those tarballs, not on "hey,
lets make a release".

Then, since we're in the incubator we post a message to
general@incubator.a.o saying "hey, we'd like to release these things,
this is the thread where the vote to do so occurred".

The key thing is that we vote on an actual set of files to release,
not on "whatever happens to be in the repos when James decides to do
it".

-garrett