abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: JSON License
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:20:36 GMT
On 7/10/06, Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
> On 7/10/06, Elias Torres <elias@torrez.us> wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > I'm almost ready to check in a JSONWriter into the extensions folder of
> > Abdera. Is the JSON license ok? Can I add it as a download in the
> > build.xml file?
> >
> > http://www.json.org/license.html
>
> Amusingly enough, I'm not entirely sure...
>
> The bit about "The Software shall be used for Good, not Evil." seems
> contradictory to the ASF's general "do what you want with it, just
> give us credit" stance on this sort of thing...
>
> Will look into it.

I asked around, and general consensus seems to be that the weird
clause about good and evil probably renders the license
non-open-source (it violates point 6 of the open source definition
(http://opensource.org/docs/definition.php), and thus we can't use it.

On the bright side, at least JSON isn't all that complex a format, so
implementing another set of classes to deal with it probably isn't all
that hard, even if another one doesn't already exist someplace...

There are some comments from the author here:

http://simon.incutio.com/archive/2005/12/16/json

that imply that he has been willing to do one-of licenses that remove
that limitation.  You might try getting in touch with him and asking
if he'd be willing to do so for the ASF.  As it stands though, I don't
think we can use it.  This is why nonstandard licenses suck...

-garrett