abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Testing Requirements
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 19:52:53 GMT
On 7/5/06, joe kim <joe.kim@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Garrett,
>
> What do you think about the current testing capabilities?  If it's
> sufficient, then there is no need to mess with it.  I think the test
> cases are fairly sparse and we would probably need more. If there will
> be more test cases, it is worthwhile to evaluate other testing
> frameworks since JUnit 3.8 has been modernized in the form of JUnit 4
> and TestNG.

Well, there will obviously be new test cases, but I don't see how that
leads to "so we should dive into an evaluation of competing testing
frameworks".  The existing stuff works just fine.

> > Honestly, I'm not sure what the point of an evaluation is until we've
> > actually hit something we can't do with our existing test
> > infrastructure.
>
> I think what you are saying is good for saving limited resources, but
> to find something you cannot do with your existing infrastructure you
> need only look as far as the JUnit 4 or TestNG features.
>
> Here's an orthogonal question, why is it that Abdera can be built with
> ant and maven, when there is make?  If there was a java project
> building with make, would it make sense to look at the alternatives?

Ant and Maven provide abilities /that we need/ that you cannot easily
do in make.  They're also defacto standards in the Java world.
Neither of those are true for JUnit 4 or TestNG at this time, AFAIK.

-garrett