abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Duncan" <stephen.dun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: XHTML Content
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2006 21:43:09 GMT

> Robert Sayre wrote:
> > James M. Snell wrote:
> >> The spec also says that applications can use the div to aid in
> >> displaying the content.
> >
> > The spec says no such thing, and that's a bogus reading. It looks like
> > the text should have been still more mealy and tortured, but the
> > "markup" in question is the XHTML content... as in you can strip
> > whatever you want or use only some of it.
> >

> Section 4.1.3.3, Item #3
>
> "The XHTML div element itself MUST NOT be considered part of the
> content.  Atom Processors that display the content MAY use the markup to
> aid in displaying it."
>
> There is no definition of "the markup". Mileage, and interpretation may
> vary.  Abdera's job is simply to help produce and read Atom, not
> validate it or specify how it's used.

Reading the spec as a whole, it's clearly meant to mimic Section 3.1.1.2:

"HTML markup within SHOULD be such that it could
   validly appear directly within an HTML <DIV> element, after
   unescaping.  Atom Processors that display such content MAY use that
   markup to aid in its display."

meaning that if it helps, you can surround the content with a div (I
don't think Robert is correct in it referring to the content).  The
purpose of NOT considering the DIV as part of the content in the XHTML
case is to make it such at that it is possible to have equal HTML &
XHTML content where escaping is the only difference.

I do think it's Abdera's job to take into account details like this
from the spec.  If it's just going to be a simple wrapper for the
straight XML, I could just make an XSD for Atom and use XMLBeans.   I
think providing the wrapping DIV rather than forcing it to be part of
the string makes it easier for people to produce Atom, and regarding
retreiving the content, I think "MUST NOT be considered part of the
content" is a clear enough guide that it's the right things to give
back to people wanting to read Atom.

--
Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com