abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Elias Torres" <el...@torrez.us>
Subject Re: Graceful handling of non-atom 1.0 feeds
Date Sun, 11 Jun 2006 20:19:27 GMT
> Abdera will successfully parse any well-formed XML.  The trick is not to
> use generics when parsing.

[snip]

> The parser is currently very liberal.  It will make sure that Atom Date
> Constructs are at least in iso8601 format and will validate URI's, but
> everything else is left wide open.  The absolute minimum it requires is
> well-formed XML.  A broad spectrum of Atom spec violations are allowed.
>
> We don't attempt to correct any of those errors, however.  For example,
> if someone puts escaped HTML markup in a text construct that is marked
> as text, Abdera will represent that data as plain text.
>
> - James

I'm sort of in the middle on this. If our main goal is to create a
fully-compliant Atom parser/protocol implementation, why should we
parsing any feed or XML-document out there? Well, the answer is
because the world is not perfect as Paul mentioned already. But then
if we are a liberal parser then I'm afraid we'd become something like
Universal Feed Parser.

If anything I propose we add "modes" for parsing in which we can throw
exceptions and warnings if we see something suspiciously
non-compliant. We could have strict, liberal, middle-of-the-road modes
:). This way we serve the community with a well-define role: a
validating Atom parser/protocol implementation. Maybe something that
will allow anyone to host their "atom validator" for their site/app
inside or outside of their company.

Just thinking outloud. However, it seems that a decision on the matter
should be central to our project.

-Elias