abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Getting started with Abdera
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2006 02:03:01 GMT
On 6/27/06, joe kim <joe.kim@gmail.com> wrote:
> I setup an eclipse workspace and checked out the abdera code from SVN.
>
> I had some trouble running the example class
> org.apache.abdera.examples.simple.Parse.  I made sure that the String
> passed to getResourceAsStream() was a valid path to "simple.xml". Here
> is the error I had:
>
> Exception in thread "main" org.apache.abdera.parser.ParseException:
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at org.apache.abdera.parser.stax.FOMParser.parse(FOMParser.java:74)
>         at org.apache.abdera.util.AbstractParser.parse(AbstractParser.java:41)
>         at org.apache.abdera.examples.simple.Parse.main(Parse.java:33)
>         at com.ctc.wstx.io.StreamBootstrapper.initialLoad(StreamBootstrapper.java:457)
>         at com.ctc.wstx.io.StreamBootstrapper.resolveStreamEncoding(StreamBootstrapper.java:217)
>         at com.ctc.wstx.io.StreamBootstrapper.bootstrapInput(StreamBootstrapper.java:103)
>         at com.ctc.wstx.stax.WstxInputFactory.createSR(WstxInputFactory.java:533)
>         at com.ctc.wstx.stax.WstxInputFactory.createSR(WstxInputFactory.java:521)
>         at com.ctc.wstx.stax.WstxInputFactory.createXMLStreamReader(WstxInputFactory.java:266)
>         at org.apache.axiom.om.util.StAXUtils.createXMLStreamReader(StAXUtils.java:61)
>         at org.apache.axiom.om.impl.builder.StAXOMBuilder.<init>(StAXOMBuilder.java:96)
>         at org.apache.abdera.parser.stax.FOMBuilder.<init>(FOMBuilder.java:116)
>         at org.apache.abdera.parser.stax.FOMParser.parse(FOMParser.java:70)
>         ... 2 more

That kind of error tends to result from passing a null stream to
parse().  When you say that the path to simple.xml was "valid", do you
mean you gave it a full system path, like:

InputStream in = Parse.class.getResourceAsStream("/home/rooneg/.../simple.xml");

If so, that's incorrect, getResourceAsStream tries to pull a file out
of the classpath, so you need to make sure a directory containing that
file (i.e. the resources directory, or someplace the contents of that
directory are copied) is in the classpath when you run the test.

> Any thoughts?  Are there plans to use other parsers such as JDOM?

I don't know, do you plan to write a parser that uses JDOM?  ;-)

Seriously, as I understand it, Abdera is written in such a way as to
allow multiple parser back ends, so the only limitation is the lack of
volunteers to write parser back ends for whatever kind of XML parser
is desired.

-garrett