abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Retroweaver and jdk 1.4.2
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 14:13:35 GMT
> Ok, so I've been playing around with retroweaver for producing the JDK
> 1.4.2 compatible build and it appears to be working beautifully so long
> as we stay within a reasonable subset of the new Java5 features. Given
> that, so far, we're only using generics and iterable, we're safe.  It's
> also very fast and can be easily incorporated into the build.  The
> license is such that we can include it in our svn with appropriate
> license/notice files.  There is an additional runtime dependency for
> 1.4.2 builds.
>
> I propose that we go ahead and incorporate retroweaver into our build.

Would this be an optional dependency?  Assuming it's a separate
"build.jdk14" target or something like that I'm totally cool with it,
retroweaver seems like some pretty cool technology.

I assume eventually we may run into situations where we want to use
parts of the 1.5 jdk that retroweaver can't emulate for us, but we
don't seem to be at that point today, and we can jump off that bridge
when we come to it.

-garrett