abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: JDK 1.4.2 backport
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 19:58:35 GMT
> Current Abdera depends on a number of Java5 features.  However, I've
> purposefully limited those dependencies to ones that are easy to
> backport to 1.4.2.  There is a definite demand for a 1.4.2
> implementation.  One of the key reasons I would like to keep the parser
> and core branches as stable as possible is so that we can maintain a
> 1.4.2 branch that is periodically sync'd with the trunk.  For each
> milestone, we would make both the Java5 and 1.4.2 versions available.
>
> By the end of this week, I should have the first 1.4.2 backport ready to
> go.  What would be the best way to maintain the backport in the svn?

First, create a branch off of the trunk for the backport:

$ svn copy https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/abdera/java/trunk
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/abdera/java/branches/jdk14-backport

Then, check out the backport branch, make your changes, and commit them there.

As changes are made on the trunk, merge them into the branch.  For
example, if we created the branch in revision 10, and them committed
some changes on the trunk in revisions 12, 15, and 20, you could merge
them into the branch like this:

(From a branch working copy)

$ svn merge -r 10:20
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/abdera/java/trunk .

Then resolve any conflicts (edit the files to fix the conflict, then
run 'svn resolved' on the file in question) and check the changes in
to the trunk.

The next time, the changes up to r20 will have already been merged, so
you'd merge from 20:30 (or whatever the newest change on the trunk
was).

-garrett