abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Abdera Unit Tests and Network Access
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2006 13:26:57 GMT
One of the things that kind of bothers me about the current Abdera
unit tests is that they require network access to function.  It's
basically impossible (assuming that we have the tests running, which
we don't for the ant build right now, but that's a separate issue) to
run the tests (and by extension to build a release, since one step in
building a release is running the tests) if you don't have unfetterred
access to the internet.  It also means that our tests can now fail due
to conditions totally outside our control.

I'd like to start working on bringing the Atom files we depend on into
our source tree, at least the ones that are under a sufficiently clear
license (Mark Pilgrim's Feed Parser tests, for example, are clearly
under the Python Software Foundation license, which AFAICT is just a
standard BSDish license and thus we can use that code as long as we
clearly reproduce its license in our NOTICE file and don't remove any
copyright statements).

Does anyone have an objection to this?  If we want to preserve the
ability to fetch the files from their cannonical locations online I
can certainly look at a more complex system that provides that
ability, but honestly it seems like the point here is to test our
ability to parse the content, not the JDK's ability to download a file
via http.

-garrett