abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r415090 - in /incubator/abdera/java/trunk: build/build.xml dependencies/deps.properties parser/pom.xml pom.xml
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2006 13:12:12 GMT
On 6/18/06, jmsnell@apache.org <jmsnell@apache.org> wrote:
> Author: jmsnell
> Date: Sat Jun 17 21:53:13 2006
> New Revision: 415090

> Log:
> Various build patches from Stephen and Garrett

Thanks for checking this in James.  A few small comments.

The two changes were really unrelated, and thus should have been
checked in separately.  Committing changes as separate revisions makes
it easier to merge them between branches and to look at via diff
later.  Subversion's concept of a global revision that indicates the
entire state of the tree makes it quite easy to do things like that,
but only if the changes that are all committed together are actually
associated with one another.

Second, I did provide a fairly detailed log message to go along with
my patch.  I'm a big fan of actually describing what changed in a
commit in the log, as opposed to logs like this one that basically
just says "Garrett and Stephen changed the build".

Finally, when you commit a change that was posted via email, it's good
practice to respond to the email and say it's been committed, that way
other people who are potentially going to be checking in changes will
be aware that these ones are already taken care of.  Again, not a huge
deal, but one that makes this sort of thing work a little more
smoothly.

-garrett