abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Now that the code's in
Date Sat, 17 Jun 2006 13:27:16 GMT
On 6/17/06, Gav.... <brightoncomputers@brightontown.com.au> wrote:

> It may just be these projects, but it seems to me that the layout of the
> Repository here is a little weird.
>
> I mean, why have two trunks ? , Can the website not be part of the same
> trunk, it would make for easier maintenance and deployment in the
> Future, ease of use and readability for users etc also.

I'm not clear how putting the web site in with the source has anything
to do with deployment...  The main reason I saw in keeping them
separate is that eventually I see us as having multiple
implementations of Abdera in different languages, and I don't see any
need to force people to check out all of them in order to get the
parts they want.

> Also, I don't think that anything above 'trunk' (either one) should be
> Available to the general dev/user community. Not a good idea to let
> Everyone loose with branches etc.
>
> Instructions should then be put on the website that devs/users can download
> The latest SVN from 'Trunk', not root.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  The instructions do say they should
check out the trunk, and never (that I'm aware of) the root.

> New users might like to see
>
> 'svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/abdera/ > abdera' as it is
> Currently on the website so they don't have to run off and find the
> appropriate command. If it were reorganised into one trunk this would be

Where on the website do you see that?

> 'svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/abdera/trunk > abdera'
> And would contain both the java and site trees in one, but all branches
> And other unneeded files/directories would be ignored and reserved for
> Only committer use. Otherwise I reckon 'svn revert' will become someones
> Best friend.

Uhh, I really think you're heading off in some strange direction with
your assumptions.  Nothing that I can find suggests anyone checking
out anything other than the specific branches they care about (the
trunk of the java tree, the trunk of the site, etc).

> The snell_sandbox, is this for everyone to play with ? If so an idea
> I bring from Forrest etc is the Whiteboard, call it the Sandbox if you
> Like, but is housed not in a branch, but as a sub-dir of trunk, that
> Way everyone gets to play, add there own whiteboard/sandbox sub-projects.
> Eventually they either get deleted or merged into the core, or a plugin,
> whatever.

I suspect James is using that branch to experiment on.  If people have
a problem with that we can certainly have him move that work into the
trunk, but I personally don't see what the issue is.

-garrett