abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Initial Repository Layout
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 22:23:03 GMT

> Well we are starting with Java...

But with the idea that more languages will follow.  I'd really prefer
that the C or Python or Ruby coders that hopefully will show up won't
be turned off by the need to learn a lot of java specific technology
to do something as simple as update a web page.

> And all of which seem to assume that you totally live and breath with
> > maven, which I personally don't like.
>

> No, not at all. You can spend your time writing the Ant XML to invoke
> Checkstyle, PMD, FindBugs et al if you like. But by using Maven, you can
> free up your time to work on code or documentation, rather than on the build
> system. And if you don't want to use Maven to build either, you can have it
> generate an Ant build, or the appropriate files for whatever IDE you happen
> to like. That enables other people to contribute more easily, too, since
> they can use the tools most familiar to them.

I remain unconvinced.  A simple ant buildfile and HTML website seems
totally sufficient to me.

-garrett