abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Initial Repository Layout
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 21:52:28 GMT
On 6/8/06, Paul Querna <pquerna@apache.org> wrote:

> What is the difference between a 'sandbox' and a
> branches/paul-is-trying-something-crazy?
>
> I don't see much reason to not just use branches/ for that purpose.

For branches, I agree, an experimental branch to make radical changes
just to try them out is just that, a branch, and goes under branches/.
 A sandbox, IIUC, is something different, it's for new work, not
modifications to existing code, and is for work that may or may not
ever make it into the trunk.

For example, see
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/sandbox/ for the
Jakarta Commons sandbox.  It's filled with random little projects that
may never really see production use.

Depending on the type of work people do, we may never need a sandbox.
If the type of experimental work that goes on is such that it lends
itself to branch based development, then that makes perfect sense.

On the other hand, I could see sandbox projects for implementing
specific Atom extensions that may or may not ever become widely used.

-garrett