abdera-dev mailing list archives

From James M Snell <jasn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: XHTML Content
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2006 19:28:50 GMT

Robert Sayre wrote:
> James M. Snell wrote:
>> The spec also says that applications can use the div to aid in
>> displaying the content.
>
> The spec says no such thing, and that's a bogus reading. It looks like
> the text should have been still more mealy and tortured, but the
> "markup" in question is the XHTML content... as in you can strip
> whatever you want or use only some of it.

Section 4.1.3.3, Item #3

"The XHTML div element itself MUST NOT be considered part of the
content.  Atom Processors that display the content MAY use the markup to
aid in displaying it."

There is no definition of "the markup". Mileage, and interpretation may
vary.  Abdera's job is simply to help produce and read Atom, not
validate it or specify how it's used.

>> What I would prefer is that abdera simply
>> treat the div as content and let the application using abdera do the
>> right thing with it.
>
> Um, no. There are several good reasons that div is not part of the
> content, but they all add up to preventing the "telescoping div"
> phenomenon.

Um, yes.  There are several good reasons for Abdera to pass the
responsibility of doing the right thing on to applications using the
library.  Abdera does not display content, it merely parses and helps
produce feeds and entries.  It does not perform validation. It allows a
developer to work with the Atom data model.  A feed reader
implementation built on top of Abdera could reasonably be expected to do
the right thing with regards to the div.  There's no need for us to do so.

> If you need help understanding how this should work, see the Mozilla
> implementation:
> http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/toolkit/components/feeds/src/FeedProcessor.js#1002

No thanks.  The Mozilla implementation has its own problems.

> have a nice day and don't break Atom,

- James