abdera-dev mailing list archives

From James M Snell <jasn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Graceful handling of non-atom 1.0 feeds
Date Sun, 11 Jun 2006 21:05:43 GMT
There's actually a very practical use for this arbitrary XML parsing
mechanism that's already in the code.  When you call
content.setValue(...) on an atom:content with XML content, you can pass
in an XML string.  The parser will parse it to create the appropriate
ExtensionElement object to set as the child of the content object. This
also works when setting XHTML content on the Content and Text objects,
making it very simple for us to construct XML and XHTML nodes.

The API is something like...

Regarding spec compliance, I had been kicking around the idea of a
Validator.INSTANCE.validate(...) mechanism.  You could pass in any of
the FOM objects and have it validate against the spec.  This would also
allow us to configure validators of various strengths and purposes (e.g.
StrictValidator, LiberalValidator, UlterliberalValidator,
MyGdataValidator, Atom03Validator, etc).  It also provides a clean
separation between the parser and the validator.

- James