abdera-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <pque...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Graceful handling of non-atom 1.0 feeds
Date Sat, 10 Jun 2006 19:03:11 GMT
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> In my experiements with pulling titles out of atom feeds last night, I
> inadvertently pointed my PrintTitles program at some atom 0.3 feeds.
> The results were, well, explosive.
>
> Now I'm not saying we should parse those feeds, we should really
> restrict oursives to atom 1.0, but it might be nice if we at least
> recognize them when we encounter them, so we can throw something more
> informative than a ClassCastException (the usual result) or
> NullPointerException (if you've got a ParseFilter set up).

+1.

As more a policy issue, do people think Abdera should attempt to
successfully parse content, even if they contain errors/violations of
the spec?

Someone somewhere out on the Internet will break the spec, produce
invalid XML, put invalid encodings in there, miss required fields, put
invalid data in those fields.. etc.  While some of these problems will
require support from lower level components(Axiom), much of the handling
stiil is up to Abdera.

-Paul