abdera-dev mailing list archives

From James M Snell <jasn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ROME
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 03:54:44 GMT
The original goal for Abdera was, first-and-foremost to provide a
fully-functional Atom implementation.  The architecture is designed such
that additional things can be layered in.  For instance, it would be
possible to either use Abdera as the Atom parser for Rome, or even use
the Abdera architecture as a basis for Rome 2.0 (e.g. an RSS parser
could be built on StAX/Axiom using the same model used by the Atom
parser). However, I think it would be a mistake for us to try to do too
much, too fast, with regards to collaboration with Rome (which does have
a much broader scope).  I'd recommend that for our first milestone, we
focus primarily on providing solid RFC4287 and Atom Publishing Protocol
Draft-9 implementations.

Regarding extensions, I would suspect that support for common extensions
would be a key goal moving forward.  The nice thing about Abdera's API
is that most of these extensions can be used out of the box (e.g. they
don't require special module parsers or interfaces, etc).  Static
implementations of the extensions are possible using the
ExtensionFactory mechanism.  In my internal development image, I have an
"extras" module that I use to keep my experiments with static extension
implementations (most of which, I've discovered, aren't really necessary
given Abdera's native support for XPath :-)

Regarding conversion, I think an Atom<==>RSS conversion would be a good
thing.  I've been working on an Atom<==>JSON conversion that I'll be
checking into a "James' Crazy Experiments" Branch at some point in the
not too distant future.

Abdera's modular architecture makes it very easy to do these kinds of
"extra" packages.

- James