abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Initial Repository Layout
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 22:38:06 GMT
On 6/8/06, Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:

> On 6/8/06, Martin Cooper <martinc@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Well we are starting with Java...
>
> But with the idea that more languages will follow.  I'd really prefer
> that the C or Python or Ruby coders that hopefully will show up won't
> be turned off by the need to learn a lot of java specific technology
> to do something as simple as update a web page.

The docs are very simple XML - no Java involved. And I don't know about you,
but typing 'mvn site-deploy' doesn't seem too hard to me, especially when it
not only builds your web site but deploys it as well. ;-)

> And all of which seem to assume that you totally live and breath with
> > > maven, which I personally don't like.
> >

> > No, not at all. You can spend your time writing the Ant XML to invoke
> > Checkstyle, PMD, FindBugs et al if you like. But by using Maven, you can
> > free up your time to work on code or documentation, rather than on the
> build
> > system. And if you don't want to use Maven to build either, you can have
> it
> > generate an Ant build, or the appropriate files for whatever IDE you
> happen
> > to like. That enables other people to contribute more easily, too, since
> > they can use the tools most familiar to them.
>
> I remain unconvinced.  A simple ant buildfile and HTML website seems
> totally sufficient to me.

Well if everyone else agrees with you, I hope someone at least will create a
Maven POM for the project, so that your users can easily build with Maven,
even if you decide not to.

And I trust that your Ant build will retrieve all of the dependencies from
their remote locations for me, so that I don't have to waste my time
locating and downloading each one manually. Maven, of course, has that
functionality built in, no extra charge. ;-)

I do hope everyone will seriously consider what they would be giving up by
not using Maven though.

--
Martin Cooper

-garrett