abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Initial Repository Layout
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 22:16:33 GMT
On 6/8/06, Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:

> On 6/8/06, Martin Cooper <martinc@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > It depends on whether or not you want all of the stuff that Maven site
> > generation gives you free. I like the fact that, with about one line per
> > plugin, I can get unit test reports, Javadocs, Checkstyle, PMD,
> FindBugs,
> > code coverage, cross-ref, developer and file activity, change logs, and
> much
> > more. I can also see at a glance where to find the mailing lists, the
> source
> > code, the issue tracking system, and the project's dependencies. I can
> enter
> > my FAQs in a simple Q&A format and have Maven generate a TOC with all
> the
> > right links. And anyone who's ever seen a Maven-generated site before
> will
> > know exactly where to find all those things.
>
> All of which are totally specific to a Java implementation, and are
> meaningless to anything else....

Well we are starting with Java...

And all of which seem to assume that you totally live and breath with
> maven, which I personally don't like.

No, not at all. You can spend your time writing the Ant XML to invoke
Checkstyle, PMD, FindBugs et al if you like. But by using Maven, you can
free up your time to work on code or documentation, rather than on the build
system. And if you don't want to use Maven to build either, you can have it
generate an Ant build, or the appropriate files for whatever IDE you happen
to like. That enables other people to contribute more easily, too, since
they can use the tools most familiar to them.

--
Martin Cooper

  A simple ant buildfile for