abdera-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Initial Repository Layout
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 22:01:13 GMT

> That layout works for me.  It's very close to what I already have in the
> image I'm preparing to check in.
>
> Question: should we have contrib and sandbox folders in there at the
> same level as trunk/tags/branches?  I'd personally prefer to keep those
> things separate from the main code.
>
> Also, I've just been working on some simple static HTML pages for the
> project website (I've yet to actually see any time and energy savings
> from XML-to-(X)HTML processes.  Of course, I can always do the
> xdoc/maven thing if y'all prefer that instead.

It depends on whether or not you want all of the stuff that Maven site
generation gives you free. I like the fact that, with about one line per
plugin, I can get unit test reports, Javadocs, Checkstyle, PMD, FindBugs,
code coverage, cross-ref, developer and file activity, change logs, and much
more. I can also see at a glance where to find the mailing lists, the source
code, the issue tracking system, and the project's dependencies. I can enter
my FAQs in a simple Q&A format and have Maven generate a TOC with all the
right links. And anyone who's ever seen a Maven-generated site before will
know exactly where to find all those things.

It beats the heck out of trying to put that all together manually.
Personally, I wouldn't put a new project in place without a Maven site any
more. There's just too much that comes with it that would be a pain to do
otherwise.

As for styling, CSS works just as well for a Maven-generated site as it does
for static HTML or an Anakia-generated site. At the end of the day, they're
all HTML. ;-)

--
Martin Cooper

- James